You see it from far away. It’s the dessert table – filled with your granny’s cannolis, bread pudding and the over indulgent assortment of holiday cookies. And all you can think is how many hours in the gym will it take to burn this stuff off?
To navigate party landmines with healthy choices, you need a plan. Endless nights of eating and drinking can get a little overwhelming. So Synergy Fitness trainers and lifestyle experts have a few tips to help you make the right choices while still enjoying the holidays.
- Squeeze in your workout – A small dose of regular exercise, 10 – 20 minutes at a time will greatly improve your mood. So if you don’t have time for your normal work out, pop in for a quick jog on the treadmill to get your heart rate elevated. This will put you in the “eat less” mindset right before the festivities.
- Wear fitted clothes – We’ve all been there – holding our stomachs in trying to make the slim lines appear even slimmer. If you wear fitted clothes to parties, your mind will stay on alert and send a quick signal to your brain as your hand extends over the cookie tray.
- Kill the calories – Wear your favorite Christmas sweater, deck the halls, hang the mistletoe but to save calories, go easy on the nuts, cheese, cream sauces, gravy, butter, and whipped cream! You don’t need the extra calories.
- Chew gum – Not only will this make it harder to pop food in your mouth but it’s also a quick fix for a sour stomach!
- Be a food snob – If you don’t love it, don’t eat it! Who said you had to taste test every item at the party? Eat what you like and leave the rest for someone else!
- No skipping meals – Always eat normally on holidays (and everyday)! If you think skipping will leave more room in your stomach, you’re wrong! You will be less inclined to overindulge if you arrive feeling less hungry and up to speed on your daily meals.
- Drink water – Your favorite boozy cocktail is loaded with calories! So alternate a water or seltzer in between your libations! Your best bet is to favorite a low cal cocktail like Raspberry infused vodka with club soda averaging only about 100 calories.
- Book a personal training session – It’s a lot harder to miss your workout if you have someone else pushing you to go. Make PT appointments during the holidays instead of missing your work out.